Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Bangkok Sightseeing – Jatujak Weekend Market (2)

This weekend I woke up to clear blue sky and beautiful, cool weather, just right for going out for a brisk walk, and I thought, well, I’ve just told you about Jatujak Weekend Market, so why not take you on tour of Jatujak Weekend Market via my Blog?


For tourists who are not used to going to places in Bangkok by bus.. I feel that getting to Jatujak Weekend Market by railcars would be the most convenient way; either the BTS Skytrain or the MRT Subway train is fine. Today, I’ll take you on the BTS Skytrain for our Jatujak Weekend Market trip.

Incidentally, if you happen to have just wandered (haha :p) into my blog the first time, I have written some information on Jatujak Weekend Market in my previous blog which you can check out here.

Let’s begin then.. Today, we’re going to Jatujak Weekend Market via the BTS Skytrain. The station we are heading for is Mo Chit Station (N8) and the nearest exit to Jatujak Weekend Market is Exit 1. (In case you come by the MRT Subway train you can get down at two stations: one is the Chatuchak Park Station Exit 1 where you’ll come up near the BTS Skytrain station, and the other one is the Kamphaeng Phet Station Exit 2 where you’ll come up right inside Jatujak Weekend Market). Now, back to our BTS Skytrain.


After coming out of the station I was met with the sight of the whole street side lined with vendors whose goods are spread out on the sidewalk or on stands, and they all seem to be waiting for my “patronage” even before I enter the Weekend Market. Actually, their merchandises really grab my attention. For example, these attractive fashion watches are only 100 Baht (USD$3). (Of course, you should not even think of comparing their quality with watches costing thousands or ten thousands of Baht in the department stores.)


Having passed these appetizers along the sidewalk, we shall now enter the actual Jatujak Market which, I feel, has nearly everything our heart desires in a marketplace, only depending on whether or not we are able to find them. (Many times had I purposely come here to buy some specific item but must go home empty handed because I could not remember where the stall I visited previously was situated T^T) and if you study the Jatujak Market map you will see that Jatujak Market group their stalls into sections according to types of merchandise. I need to tell you, however, that when you are actually here some of the stalls may not be located in the section allocated for them as per the map ^^”.

Now, if you have finally reached the market but don’t know where to begin, you may want to walk through all the stalls into the Main Road of the market first. And if you just meander along and stop at this stall, that stall, it may take 1-2 hours just for the stalls lining the Main Road already. After that you may want to walk inside into each layer as you wish. Today, however, I will just guide you around the Main Road to visit stalls situated around it which offer bags, clothes, food, and sometimes there would be a street show for us to watch.







By the way, apart from the Jatujak Weekend Market itself, opposite Jatujak on Kampaengphet Road is another market called MOF Market (MOF stands for Marketing Organization for Farmers) or what the Thai people call Or Tor Kor Market. This market is renowned for its fresh food such as fruits, Thai desserts and Thai food; also fish and seafood are sold. But I have to warn you: the price of the food in this market is considerably higher than the price of food in normal markets or in supermarkets of department stores. (My family calls this the Well-To-Do’s Market. ^^”) On the other hand, the way they are arranged on the shelves, as well as the packaging of some food, like the fruits or the Thai desserts, are more beautifully presented than what can be seen generally in the stores. Whenever I buy something from here, they are usually destined as gifts for friends and relatives. ;) Incidentally, next to Jatujak Weekend Market (but not on the same side as Or Tor Kor Market) are three large parks for you to rest your aching feet after a whole day of shopping. One of them goes under the same name as the weekend market and is called Jatujak Park. And the other two parks which are located nearby are Queen Sirikit Public Park and SRT Park.



Four hours have now passed … and I was just about exhausted. It’s about time we say goodbye to Jatujak Weekend Market on this beautiful day. However, I think it won’t be long before I find myself back here again as usual. On my homeward journey I’m taking the MRT Subway and will proceed home by another transportation from the city center. So, till next time, a short Adios…

(There are still numerous pictures which I have posted in my Instagram. If you are interested, please visit me @Cyberlambkin)

2 comments:

  1. our enthusiasm leads you beyond the limits. When you feel yourself enthusiastic that’s the time you can cross any limit. You seek to get perfection by using the ability of work. Read such motivational article and definitely it will help you to know new facts.
    นาฬิกา ข้อ มือ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and my team was in search of a rarely found platform which can help us for our new assignment. We are writers and its been a long time we are in this writing field. So we would appreciate help of this blog.
    5 island near bangkok

    ReplyDelete